THE MANSION - a short story - The Mystique

THE MANSION - a short story

, 0 Comments

               
 

                  As I woke up from a heavy slumber, I'm first aware of the coolness of the air and a loamy fragrance. A stream of gentle wind rattled the old bedroom window as the door creaked. Removing the blanket on me, I checked the digital clock which read the time as 3:18 A.M. Eventually, I got out of the bed and stumbled across to reach the numb floor in half drowsiness. The wind was nothing but a deeper moaning to the caustic winter air that swept over the ocean. I closed the clanking window to end the moaning of the wind and door simultaneously. Silence. Apart from my own breaths, I heard no sound as if the night was dead.

                 I got down the stairs to drench my thirst. Ever since my childhood, I dreamt of living in a huge mansion along a beach side. Finally, my dream came true as I bought this mansion a week ago, and ever since, it never failed to awe me.

                I reached the refrigerator and drank the entire bottle as few drops escaped to wet my skin. The feel was amazing; I've always loved that. At a distance, I could hear a drip sound, probably from the bathroom. The silence consumed the night so much; that's the only reason I could hear that sound as the bathroom was almost at the end of mansion. I secured the taps and I returned to my room.

                 A bit of fear was induced in me as I reached my room to find that the old window started to screech again which creaked the door. I was not sure if I've bolted the window as I was in half-sleep then. As I neared the window, I could hear the wind making gentle whispers, almost a hissing sound. I surely felt creepy and bolted the window as fast as possible to return the silence.

                 The silence lived only for a ten seconds; as it was broken by a melodious piano music. I was sure that the sound was from my old piano inherited from my grandfather and moreover, no people live near the mansion. It sent chills down my spine as I've closed that in the storeroom down the floor.

                  Adrenaline pumped fast in me and in fear, I've decided to know who that was. The piano stopped playing as I reached the storeroom. I trembled in fear as I've noticed the footprints of blood running along the hallway. Immediately, in no time, I exploded into motion to my room and covered my face with the thick blankets.

                  I've decided not to get out of that no matter what happens. All of a sudden, the window opened, the door, tap and piano making sounds simultaneously. It freaked my feathers out, all I could do was to close my eyes tightly. After a while, the sound stopped. The silence kicked in more fear than the sound as I never knew what was going to happen next.

                 A powerful arm caught hold of my right leg and pulled me out of the cot, started to drag me all across the floor and steps. I couldn't move, I couldn't get free. I screamed in a loud voice to meet someone's help, knowing that it would be a vain. I was thrown apart and as I opened my eyes, I landed in the nearby graveyard.

                 The fear almost killed me and my heart raced when I saw my own tombstone in front of me.

                 I woke up in heavy gasps and screams as I woke up from the nightmare. Drenched in sweat, I saw my digital clock.

It read 3:17 A.M. ( Immediately, it flashed into my that the clock showed 3:18 A.M. in my dream)

The window started to rattle and the door made a creaking noise.

0 comments: